2015年12月9日 星期三

10個S.2應識的文法筆記及練習2: if-conditional

來源: https://www.ego4u.com/


What is a conditional?

conditional is a sentence or part of a sentence that expresses a condition. It usually begins with the words "when," "if" and "unless."

condition is what must happen before something else can happen.


Examples of conditionals (note that the conditions are in italics):

I will come if I have enough time. 
(I am not sure that I will come. It depends on something else.)

She would tell me if she knew. 
(She doesn't know.)

Unless she agrees to pay us we will not take the job.
(She must agree to pay before we take the job.)

They will come when I call them.
(They will not come before I call them.)


There are four basic conditionals in English, or in other words: there are four ways to express that something is dependent on something else.

Note: in the examples below the conditions are in GREEN, and the results are in BROWN.


First Conditional | Second Conditional | Third Conditional 
Zero Conditional | Summary Table | Top

The First Conditional

The First Conditional

"If he catches a fish, he will be very happy."

We use first conditional when talking about possible future events.


Structure:
If + Simple Present, + Will 

OR

Will + If + Simple Present


Examples:

  • Lisa will be very happy if she wins the prize.
  • If it rains, then we will stay at home.
  • You will always be able to take another test if you fail.
  • If I see Sam, I will ask him to give you a call.

Note:
 
You can use these modal verbs instead of will
shall, can, may.


Examples:
  • If you fail, you can always try again.
  • If you finish everything on time, you may go home earlier.
  • We shall meet on Sunday, if it's alright with you.


First Conditional | Second Conditional | Third Conditional 
Zero Conditional | Summary Table | Top

The Second Conditional

The Second Conditional

"If I met a genie, I would ask for infinite wealth..."
We use the second conditional when talking about future events that are not likely to happen.

Structure:

If + Simple Past, + Would + Base Form

OR

Would + Base Form + If + Simple Past


Examples:
  • If I won a million dollars, I would travel around the world.
    (There is a small possibility that I would actually win.)
  • If I met him again, I would tell him the truth.
    (There is a small possibility that I would actually meet him again.)
  • She would quit school if her parents agreed.
    (It is unlikely that her parents agree.)
  • I would be surprised if I saw pigs in the sky.
    (It is very unlikely for me to see pigs in the sky.)

We also use the second conditional when talking about things which arecontrary to the present facts.

The Second Conditional

"If I had any money, I would give you some."

Examples:
  • If she worked less, she wouldn't be so tired.(In reality she doesn't work less, so she is tired.)
  • You would see John if you were here now.(In reality you are not here now, so you don't see John.)
  • If things were differentwe would be happy.(In reality things are not different, and we are not happy.)
  • We would be good friends if she were nicer.
    (In reality she is not nice, and we are not good friends.)

Note:
 
You can use these modal verbs instead of would
should, could, might.


Examples:
  • If she didn't have her job, she could come with us to the North Pole.
  • If they wanted to move, they could sell the house to us.

Note:
The short form of would is 'd.
For example: If Kathleen were at home, she'd pick up the phone.

The verb BE

The verb BE has a special rule in this case.

Usually we say: I was, he was, she was, it was, we were, you were, they were.

However, in these cases, we use:
I were, he were, she were, it were, we were, you were, they were.

In other words: "were" is the only form.

Examples:

If I were you I would apologize.
(In reality I am not you.)

I would fight back, if I were you.
(In reality I am not you.)



First Conditional | Second Conditional | Third Conditional 
Zero Conditional | Summary Table | Top

The Third Conditional

The Third Conditional

"If I had paid more attention, I wouldn't have hit myself..."
We use the third conditional when talking about things which are contrary to the past facts. In other words: events that did not happen in the past.

Structure:

If + Past Perfect, + Would have + V3

OR

Would have + V3 + If + Past Perfect


Examples:
  • If I had woken up on time, I would have taken the bus.(What really happened was that I didn't wake up on time, and so I didn't take the bus.)
  • Tom would have helped us if he had known we were there.(What really happened was that he didn't know we were there, and so he didn't help us.)
  • If I had told Sarah the truth, I would have felt much better.(What really happened was that I didn't tell Sarah the truth, and so I didn't feel so good.)
  • If it hadn't rained yesterday, we would have enjoyed a nice picnic.(What really happened was that it rained yesterday, and we didn't go for a picnic.) 

Note #1:
The short form of had is 'd.
For example: If he'd passed his exams, he would have gotten a diploma. 


Note #2: 
You can use these modal verbs instead of would have
should have, could have, might have.


Examples:
  • Jessica might have gotten the job if she hadn't been so nervous.
  • You could have arrived on time if you had used a map.
  • If she had known what to do, she should have told us.


First Conditional | Second Conditional | Third Conditional 
Zero Conditional | Summary Table | Top

The Zero Conditional

The Zero Conditional

"If the sun sets, it becomes night."
We use the zero conditional when talking about things which are always true, or generally  true.

Structure:

If + Simple Present, + Simple Present 

OR

Simple Present + If + Simple Present 


Examples:
  • If you boil an egg, it becomes solid.
  • If you heat something, it becomes hotter.
  • I always listen to music if I jog.

Note:
We can use "when" instead of "if."


Examples:
  • When I see Karen I always feel better.
  • When she feels sick she lies in bed.
  • He starts yelling only when he gets really desperate.


First Conditional | Second Conditional | Third Conditional 
Zero Conditional | Summary Table | Top

English Conditionals Summary Table

ConditionalTime FrameProbabilityExample
First ConditionalFuturePossibleIf I meet Helen, I will invite her to the party.
Second ConditionalFutureUnlikelyIf I won the lottery,
I would help the world.
Second ConditionalPresentUnreal/
Imaginary
If I had the money,
I would lend it to you.
Third ConditionalPastImpossibleIf I had studied French,
I would have known it.
Zero ConditionalAlways/GenerallyCertainIf you drop something,
it falls.

Exercise 1

Conditional Sentences Type I
Complete the Conditional Sentences Type I.
  • If you (go)  out with your friends tonight, I (watch)  the football match on TV.
  • (earn)  a lot of money if I (get)  that job.
  • If she (hurry / not) , we (miss)  the bus.

Conditional Sentences Type II

Complete the Conditional Sentences Type II.
  • If he (try)  harder, he (reach)  his goals.
  • (buy)  these shoes if they (fit) .
  • It (surprise / not)  me if he (know / not)  the answer.

Conditional Sentences Type III

Complete the Conditional Sentences Type III.
  • If we (listen)  to the radio, we (hear)  the news.
  • If you (switch)  on the lights, you (fall / not)  over the chair.
  • She (come)  to our party if she (be / not)  on holiday.

Conditional Sentences Type I, II or III

Complete the Conditional Sentences with the correct form (Type I, II or III).
  • If I  stronger, I'd help you carry the piano.
  • If we'd seen you, we .
  • If we  him tomorrow, we'll say hello.
  • He would have repaired the car himself if he  the tools.
  • If you drop the vase, it .
  • If I hadn't studied, I  the exam.
  • I wouldn't go to school by bus if I  a driving licence.
  • If she  him every day, she'd be lovesick.
  •  to London if I don't get a cheap flight.
  • We'd be stupid if we  him about our secret.
(Key: 


Conditional Sentences Type I

Complete the Conditional Sentences Type I.
  • If you go out with your friends tonight, I will watch(i) the football match on TV.
  • will earn a lot of money if I get(i) that job.
  • If she does not hurry, we will miss(i) the bus.

Conditional Sentences Type II

Complete the Conditional Sentences Type II.
  • If he tried harder, he would reach(i) his goals.
  • would buy these shoes if they fitted(i) .
  • It would not surprise me if he did not know(i) the answer.

Conditional Sentences Type III

Complete the Conditional Sentences Type III.
  • If we had listened to the radio, we would have heard(i) the news.
  • If you had switched on the lights, you would not have fallen(i) over the chair.
  • She would have come to our party if she had not been(i) on holiday.

Conditional Sentences Type I, II or III

Complete the Conditional Sentences with the correct form (Type I, II or III).
  • If I were(i) stronger, I'd help you carry the piano.
  • If we'd seen you, we would have stopped(i) .
  • If we meet(i) him tomorrow, we'll say hello.
  • He would have repaired the car himself if he had had(i) the tools.
  • If you drop the vase, it will break(i) .
  • If I hadn't studied, I would not have passed(i) the exam.
  • I wouldn't go to school by bus if I had(i) a driving licence.
  • If she didn't see(i) him every day, she'd be lovesick.
  • won't travel(i) to London if I don't get a cheap flight.
  • We'd be stupid if we told(i) him about our secret.)

    Exercise 2
Complete the conditional sentences (type I, II and III)
  1. Once upon a time the cat bit the mouse's tail off. Give me back my tail, said the mouse. And the cat said, Well, I (give)  you back your tail if you fetched me some milk. But that's impossible to do for a little mouse like you.
  2. The mouse, however, went to the cow. The cat (give / only)  me back my tail if I fetch her some milk.
  3. And the cow said, Well, I would give you milk if you (get)  me some hay. But that's impossible to do for a little mouse like you.
  4. The mouse, however, went to the farmer. The cat will only give me back my tail if the cow (give)  me some milk. And the cow (only / give)  me milk if I get her some hay.
  5. And the farmer said, Well, I would give you hay if you (bring)  me some meat. But that's impossible to do for a little mouse like you.
  6. The mouse, however, went to the butcher. The cat will only give me back my tail if the cow (give)  me milk. And the cow will only give me milk if she (get)  some hay. And the farmer (only / give)  me hay if I get him some meat.
  7. And the butcher said, Well, I would give you meat if you (make)  the baker bake me a bread. But that's impossible to do for a little mouse like you.
[key: 
Complete the conditional sentences (type I, II and III)
  1. Once upon a time the cat bit the mouse's tail off. Give me back my tail, said the mouse. And the cat said, Well, I would give(i)you back your tail if you fetched me some milk. But that's impossible to do for a little mouse like you.
  2. The mouse, however, went to the cow. The cat will only give(i) me back my tail if I fetch her some milk.
  3. And the cow said, Well, I would give you milk if you got(i) me some hay. But that's impossible to do for a little mouse like you.
  4. The mouse, however, went to the farmer. The cat will only give me back my tail if the cow gives me some milk. And the cow will only give(i) me milk if I get her some hay.
  5. And the farmer said, Well, I would give you hay if you brought(i) me some meat. But that's impossible to do for a little mouse like you.
  6. The mouse, however, went to the butcher. The cat will only give me back my tail if the cow gives me milk. And the cow will only give me milk if she gets some hay. And the farmer will only give(i) me hay if I get him some meat.
  7. And the butcher said, Well, I would give you meat if you made(i) the baker bake me a bread. But that's impossible to do for a little mouse like you.]
Exercise 3

New Orleans



New Orleans was founded by the French. It first had a French name, Nouvelle-Orléans, in honor of the Duke of Orleans, King of France. The city lies on the river Mississippi and a riverboat cruise on the Mississippi is an unforgettable experience. New Orleans is also an important center for music, especially for jazz and rhythm and blues.
New Orleans

Grammatikübung zum Text

Conditional Clauses Type I, II, III

  • Type I expresses something that is likely.
  • Type II expresses something that is unlikely.
  • Type III expresses something that is impossible.
For further information, check out our grammar section: → Conditional Clauses Type I, II and III
Put the verbs into the most suitable form to make correct conditional sentences (type I, II or III).
  1. Do you like jazz music? Because if you (like)  jazz, you (love)  New Orleans.
  2. Vanessa hates boat trips. But if she (hate / not)  boat trips, she (enjoy)  a riverboat cruise on the Mississippi.
  3. (do)  a course in jazz dancing if I (have)  more time. But unfortunately I don't have time.
  4. If the founders of the city (hate)  the King of France, they (call / not) the place Nouvelle-Orléans in honor of him.
[key: 
Put the verbs into the most suitable form to make correct conditional sentences (type I, II or III).
  1. Do you like jazz music? Because if you like jazz, you will love(i) New Orleans.
  2. Vanessa hates boat trips. But if she did not hate boat trips, she would enjoy(i) a riverboat cruise on the Mississippi.
  3. would do a course in jazz dancing if I had(i) more time. But unfortunately I don't have time.
  4. If the founders of the city had hated the King of France, they would not have called(i) the place Nouvelle-Orléans in honor of him.]
Exercise 4






Complete the Conditional Sentences (Type I, II or III) by putting the verbs into 
the correct form.
  1. If they (have)  time at the weekend, they will come to see us.
  2. If we sneak out quietly, nobody (notice) .
  3. If we (know)  about your problem, we would have helped you.
  4. If I (be)  you, I would not buy that dress.
  5. We (arrive)  earlier if we had not missed the bus.
  6. If I didn't have a mobile phone, my life (not / be)  complete.
  7. Okay, I (get)  the popcorn if you buy the drinks.
  8. If I (tell)  you a secret, you would be sure to leak it.
  9. She (go)  out with you if you had only asked her.
  10. I would not have read your diary if you (not hide)  it in such
    an obvious place.
[key:

Complete the Conditional Sentences (Type I, II or III) by putting the verbs into the correct form.
  1. If they have(i) time at the weekend, they will come to see us.
  2. If we sneak out quietly, nobody will notice(i) .
  3. If we had known(i) about your problem, we would have helped you.
  4. If I were(i) you, I would not buy that dress.
  5. We would have arrived(i) earlier if we had not missed the bus.
  6. If I didn't have a mobile phone, my life would not be(i) complete.
  7. Okay, I will get(i) the popcorn if you buy the drinks.
  8. If I told(i) you a secret, you would be sure to leak it.
  9. She would have gone(i) out with you if you had only asked her.
  10. I would not have read your diary if you had not hidden(i) it in such an obvious place.]

Exercise 5

Exercises on Conditional Sentences (Mix)


Type I, II or III

Complete the Conditional Sentences. Decide whether to use Type I, II or III.
  1. If I had time, I  shopping with you.
  2. If you  English, you will get along with them perfectly.
  3. If they had gone for a walk, they  the lights off.
  4. If she  to see us, we will go to the zoo.
  5. I would have told you, if I  him.
  6. Would you mind if I  the window?
  7. If they  me, I wouldn't have said no.
  8. My friend  me at the station if he gets the afternoon off.
  9. If I  it, nobody would do it.
  10. If my father  me up, I'll take the bus home
[key: 

Complete the Conditional Sentences. Decide whether to use Type I, II or III.
  1. If I had time, I would go(i) shopping with you.
  2. If you speak(i) English, you will get along with them perfectly.
  3. If they had gone for a walk, they would have turned(i) the lights off.
  4. If she comes(i) to see us, we will go to the zoo.
  5. I would have told you, if I had seen(i) him.
  6. Would you mind if I opened(i) the window?
  7. If they had invited(i) me, I wouldn't have said no.
  8. My friend will meet(i) me at the station if he gets the afternoon off.
  9. If I didn't do(i) it, nobody would do it.
  10. If my father doesn't pick(i) me up, I'll take the bus home.]





沒有留言:

張貼留言